For the first time, the world's top 100 managed services providers (MSPs) now generate more than $1 billion in annual recurring revenues, a 27 percent jump from 2009 to 2010, according to the fourth-annual MSPmentor 100 report, which will debut during February 16. Here are five other key trends from the report.
First a little background: We'll cover the trends below (and more) and also announce the complete MSPmentor 100 list/results during a webcast at 2:00 p.m. eastern on Wednesday, February 16. The results will also highlight the Top 20 European MSPs, Top 20 Australian MSPs, and Top 10 MSPs in Africa.
In the meantime here are five MSPmentor 100 trends worth noting:
1. Larger MSPs Move In: Of the MSPmentor 100 companies, 28 generated at least $10 million in recurring annual revenues
2. More Devices Managed: MSPmentor 100 companies now remotely manage more than 1 million PCs, notebooks, netbooks and other mobile or personal computing devices, up 32% from 2009. Also, MSPmentor 100 companies remotely manage 375,000 switches, routers and servers, up 24% from 2009.
3. Social Media - Slowing Growth?: Roughly 36 percent of MSPmentor 100 survey participants have Twitter accounts, up from 29 percent last year. Nearly 33 percent have FaceBook accounts and 30 percent have corporate blogs.
4. Vertical Market Reality Check: Of the survey participants, roughly 41.3% have no specific vertical market focus. For those with a vertical market targets the five most popular areas of focus are:
- Health care: 43.6%
- Banking/financial services: 40.1%
- Legal: 39.5%
- Manufacturing: 29.3%
- Insurance: 23.2%
- Hosted/SaaS Email: 77.3% (up from 67.7% in 2009)
- Virtual servers in the cloud: 67.1% (not tracked in 2009)
- Software as a Service (SaaS): 61.0% (not tracked in 2009)
- Website hosting: 56.1% (not tracked in 2009)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): 54.3% (not tracked in 2009)
- Storage as a Service: 54.1% (not tracked in 2009)
- Security as a Service: 42.6% (not tracked in 2009)
- Hosted/SaaS SharePoint: 42.1% (up from 36%)
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI): 40.1% (not tracked in 2009)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): 30.4% (not tracked in 2009)
- Hosted/SaaS CRM: 23.2% (up from 18.9%)
- Hosted Unified Communications: 21.9% (not tracked in 2009)
Sign up for MSPmentor’s Weekly Enewsletter, Webcasts and Resource Center. Follow us via RSS, Facebook, Identi.ca and Twitter. Check out more MSP voices at www.MSPtweet.com. Read our editorial disclosure here.