Managed Services: Seven Blogs MSPmentor Didn’t Write, June 15
After attending Asigra Cloud Summit, Autotask Community Live and LabTech Automation Nation this week, we’re preparing to visit Rackspace for channel updates plus Google I/O 2012 for developer insights. In the meantime here are seven blogs and MSP news stories MSPmentor didn’t have a chance to write for the week ending June 15, 2012.
7. Another Outsourced Help Desk: EarthLink (NASDAQ: ELNK) is the latest company to launch a managed outsourced help desk for customers. It’s called EarthLink TechCare. A growing list of companies — Continuum, Live Virtual Help Desk, Level Platforms, NetEnrich, etc. — offer outsourced help desk and/or NOC (network operations center) services to MSPs. But it sounds like EarthLink’s service directly targets corporate IT departments.
6. MDM Attracts the Masses: AirWatch, which specializes in mobile security, mobile device management (MDM) and mobile applications management (MAM), will host its AirWatch Connect 2013 user conference for Feb. 25-28, 2013, at Mobile World Congress. Airwatch continues to grow like a weed, but I’m still convinced that standalone MDM and MAM vendors will get swallowed by larger IT management and administration companies.
5. Foes Become Friends: Rumor has it Level Platforms (remote monitoring and management software) and Zenith Infotech (backup and cloud storage solutions) will soon partner. Zenith Infotech sold off its own RMM business to Continuum in 2011, paving the way for Zenith to partner with other RMM vendors.
4. PSA and Distributors: Here’s an interesting series of events… At least two big distributors (Tech Data, Synnex) attended Autotask Community Live earlier this week in Orlando. Ingram Micro, one of Autotask’s longest-standing distribution partners, did not attend. An Ingram spokeswoman says the distributor had been tied up planning for its own Ingram Micro Cloud Summit plus other commitments. Ironically, Ingram recently announced a partnership with Autotask rival ConnectWise — though Autotask and Ingram have stated that their relationship remains strong.
3. MSP-CSP Deal: Data Storage Corporation, a cloud storage provider, is buying e-ternity Business Continuity Consultants Inc., a Top 100 Cloud Services Provider, as identified by Talkin’ Cloud. And stay tuned. I expect the rest of June to be a busy month for MSP M&A deals… … …
2. GFI Software Going Public?: That’s the rumor among some MSP software executives. I haven’t had a chance to speak with GFI about the rumor but the company has been in growth mode. Plus, GFI is planning a major MSP partner conference in New Orleans this September 2012. Separately, CommitCRM — a PSA solution — is now integrated with GFI MAX.
1. Calling All MSP Experts: If you’re a managed services provider (MSP) expert, executive, entrepreneur, community leader or coach who deserves the spotlight then please fill out our fifth-annual MSPmentor 250 survey. We’ll profile the world’s top MSP gurus in August 2012 but we need your nominations and suggestions in the meantime.
That’s all from here. Thanks for reading MSPmentor.