SMBs: Ready for Disaster?
Roughly 82 percent of small and midsize businesses are either somewhat to very satisfied with their disaster recovery plan, according to a global survey conducted by Applied Research for Symantec. But The VAR Guy wonders: Are those SMBs suffering from disaster recovery denial? Also, how will online backup and recovery solutions impact those survey results over time. Hmmm… Let’s take a look at the stats.
The survey, conducted August through September 2009, generated 1653 worldwide responses:
- 35 percent of participants were from small businesses (10-99 employees)
- 35 percent were from midsize businesses (100 to 499 employees)
- and 35 were from companies that do business with SMBs
The most telling stats:
- 82 percent of participants are somewhat or very satisfied with their DR plans
- 84 percent believe they are somewhat or very protected from a disaster
- Yet 47 percent have no formal DR plan in place, and only 60 percent of company or customer data is backed up and only 23 percent back up their data daily
Crisis Equals Opportunity?
As a whole, those stats reveal continued opportunities for managed services providers (MSPs) and VARs. No doubt, managed storage and managed security are low-hanging fruit for MSPs — but many channel partners still don’t know how to blend on-premise solutions with emerging online backup and recovery options. At least that’s The VAR Guy’s take on the situation… … …