High-Tech News The VAR Guy Forgot to Write: Oct. 14
The VAR Guy spent this week covering Dell World, Symantec Partner Engage, N-able Partner Summit and a Synnex partner gathering. Forgive our resident blogger if he didn’t have time to cover every piece of high-tech gossip this week. To appease you, here are six piece of high-tech news for channel partners that The VAR Guy didn’t have time to write for the week ending Oct. 14, 2011.
7. Movin’ On Up: Lenovo claims the company leapfrogged Dell in the worldwide PC market, rising to the No. 2 spot in terms of PC shipments, according to IDC. The VAR Guy plans to take a closer look at the numbers this weekend…
6. Changing Teams: Rick Lacroix jumped from EMC to VCE (the Virtual Computing Environment Company) as director of communications. The VAR Guy looks forward to hearing more VCE partner program chatter from Lacroix.
5. Money and Management: SAP’s latest quarterly results looked pretty darn good. But here’s something even more interesting: SAP apparently has hired former InformationWeek VP Bob Evans — a top editor, pundit and industry insider who has CIO relationships worldwide. Admittedly, some editors fail miserably when they shift to the corporate world. But we’re betting Evans makes his mark at SAP.
4. Skype Arrives: Microsoft has completed the buyout of Skype. Some skeptics think Microsoft is going to somehow mismanage Skype. The VAR Guy is betting Microsoft will get Skype right. No joke. Seems like Skype has huge potential for Microsoft’s growing Lync business. And heck, maybe Skype can even assist that, um, Windows Phone strategy.
3. You Don’t Say: Earlier today in a pizza parlor, The VAR Guy’s waiter said iOS 5 is designed for corporate users rather than consumers. During a break, the waiter ran next door to Radio Shack to pick up his new iPhone 4S. Side note: Standard & Poor’s believes many outlets have sold out their iPhone 4S allotments.
2. Channel Chief: Certeon veteran Karl Soderlund has joined Avaya as VP of U.S. channel sales. Welcome aboard, Soderland. The VAR Guy welcomes gossip, news leaks and story tips whenever time permits … TheVARguy [at] NineLivesMediaInc [dot] com.
1. Empty Ending: This is a top-six list. Always has been. Always will be. So there is no Number One. But thanks — as usual — for reading and joining in the dialog.
That’s all for now. Time for The VAR Guy to put on his family hat.