Free Newsletters for the Channel
Register for Your Free Newsletter Now
The VAR Guy is running on fumes today. Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference 2010 (WPC10) was long and tiring, but the conference represented a strong showing for Microsoft and roughly 10,000 channel partners. Here are six channel partner blog entries The VAR Guy didn't get a chance to write while he was running around WPC10 for the week ending July 16, 2010.
July 16, 2010
The VAR Guy is running on fumes today. Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference 2010 (WPC10) was long and tiring, but the conference represented a strong showing for Microsoft and roughly 10,000 channel partners. Here are six channel partner blog entries The VAR Guy didn’t get a chance to write while he was running around WPC10 for the week ending July 16, 2010.
7. Microsoft and Open Source: Microsoft is among the top listed sponsors for OSCON, the open source convention (July 19-23, Portland, Ore.). What message will Microsoft deliver at OSCON? The VAR Guy has the details… and will share them soon.
6. Boot Camps 2.0?: Autotask, the PSA (professional services automation) software provider, is preparing to push further beyond the MSP audience. Watch for the company to soft-launch educational Boot Camps for VARs, MSPs and IT solutions providers around the time of CompTIA Breakaway in August 2010, according to one source in the know. The primary theme: Running a total IT services business that maximizes product and services opportunities. Of course, it’s safe to expect some VARStreet information to surface at the events…
5. Responsible Move: Ironically, Microsoft somewhat downplayed Windows Small Business Server Aurora — a forthcoming cloud-enhanced upgrade — during the partner conference. The VAR Guy hears Channel Chief Jon Roskill planned to mention SBS Aurora in his keynote, but the SBS pitch was scaled back because beta code isn’t available yet. Still, watch for Microsoft to pitch software development tools and ISV tools soon for Aurora.
4. What’s In a Name?: Who’s on first? What’s on second? And what’s the name of the Microsoft Partner Network? According to a spokesperson for the software giant:
“The Microsoft Partner Network remains the name for Microsoft’s overall partner ecosystem community that provides opportunities for partners to find customers, create innovative solutions and strengthen their competitive advantage in the marketplace. Members of the Microsoft Partner Network are Microsoft partners, and beginning in October 2010 they will be eligible to use a new market-facing Microsoft partner designation along with reference to any gold competencies and/or silver competencies they’ve earned.”
3. Filling the Networking Void: Big networking companies like Avaya/Nortel and Cisco Systems skipped the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference 2010 (WPC10). Microsoft used the opportunity to promote Office Communications Server 14 vs. Cisco’s unified communications strategy. And smaller networking companies stepped in and tried to grab some of the limelight. Juniper had representatives at the conference, as did Adtran, which announced strong quarterly results on July 13. The VAR Guy will share more details, including thoughts from Adtran Channel Chief Ted Cole, in a few days.
2. Microsoft’s Smartest Move: During Microsoft Worldwide Partner Summit 2010 (WPC10), the software company spent a lot of time describing new/forthcoming software development tools for Office Communications Server 14, Windows Phone 7, Windows Azure and perhaps even Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS). Translation: Microsoft is going back to its roots and targeting ISVs (independent software vendors) as the company’s primary customer audience. Smart move. When Microsoft focuses on developers, good things usually happen…
1. Check the Headline: This has been — and always will be — a top six list. The VAR Guy never has — and never will — play by the rules. Since it’s a top six list there is no No. 1.
You May Also Like
Viirtue, MSP Partners Seek Larger Piece of IT PieFeb 29, 2024
New Cisco OT Route to Market Opens New Partner SetFeb 29, 2024
Broadcom-VMware Saga Update: Nutanix Wins, Carbon Black Sale, Hock Tan PayFeb 29, 2024
Zero Trust World: ThreatLocker Unleashes New Tools to Stop ThreatsFeb 27, 2024