SunGard Expands Data Center to Meet Cloud Demand
SunGard Availability Services, the disaster recovery and managed IT services specialist, has expanded a Philadelphia, Pa., data center to meet growing demand for cloud services. At times we wonder if the world has too many data centers and too few cloud customers amid all the cloud hype. But SunGard’s data center investment appears to eliminate our concerns.
The new data center’s main purpose is to make sure client applications are available on secure and compliant platforms at all times, according to SunGard Availability Services Senior Vice President and General Manager Larry Coble. SunGard has expanded the data center by more than 12,000 square feet and added the following green IT capabilities:
- 2 x 500 ton eco chillers for free cooling during winter
- a chimney cabinet solution for hot aisle containment
- improved efficiency compared to HVAC humidification via a new central humidification system
- zone motion sensors for improved lighting
- Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) tracking built into the automation system
- nitrogen oxide (NOx) reduction for generators
SunGard has made multiple moves in recent months. The company expanded its IT services portfolio portfolio earlier this year. And in August, SunGard launched cloud business continuity services. Perhaps the data center expansion suggests that customers are embracing SunGard’s growing IT services portfolio.