MobileIron: Mobile Device Management, In the Cloud, Goes Global
MobileIron, a mobile device management (MDM) specialist, claims its Connected Cloud platform can now integrate with an enterprise’s existing security infrastructure in less than a hour. We’re curious to see how MobileIron backs up that claim as customers seek to manage smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices.
The Connected Cloud platform apparently is multi-tenant by design, suggesting that multiple companies can set up their own MDM instances without bumping into one another. MobileIron claims its cloud platform can address:
- Apple iOS and Google Android mobile environments;
- encryption policies;
- password enforcement;
- remote lock and wipe;
- app inventory, distribution and blacklist capabilities;
- real-time, permission-based remote control;
- Access control and ActiveSync connection activity;
- certificate distribution;
- group-based actions and audit trails; and
- lost device recovery, through location and mapping services.
No doubt, the mobile device management (MDM) market is a hot button right now for MSPs and their customers. But MSPs face a range of options as they navigate MDM opportunities. On the business side of the house, MSPs need to decide how they charge for MDM services. And on the technology side of the house, MSPs must evaluate MDM solutions from start-up providers as well as RMM (remote monitoring and management) software companies that are pushing into MDM.
Additional insights from Joe Panettieri.