N-able Assists MSPs with Windows Server Security Reporting
N-able Technologies has introduced a free security tool called ACL Reporter, which is designed to help MSPs and IT managers with Windows Server security reporting. The software verifies, reports and confirms Windows NT file system (NTFS) and share permissions — allowing users to perform NTFS security audits. ACL Reporter is one of several free tools that N-able now offers to MSPs and corporate IT departments.
N-able says ACL Reporter offers five clear benefits to users, claiming that it:
- Simplifies NTFS security reporting by identifying and configuring only the files and data that should be collected and reported on;
- assists with compliance by proactively maintaining and reporting on access controls;
- finds weaknesses, over-exposed files and over-privileged users;
- offers a new collection engine that maximizes performance; and
- generates reports that MSPs can share with auditors and CIOs.
Within its free tool portfolio, N-able also offers ADSearch for Windows Active Directory (AD) searching and reporting. On a somewhat related note, N-able spent portions of 2009 and 2010 promoting a freemium strategy; that effort provided MSPs with free security and storage solutions that provided upsell opportunities to customers.