Gartner: Top Vertical Industry Predictions for 2014
What are the top trends that will significantly impact enterprise IT in the next three years? We at MSPmentor have our own opinions and some predictions about MSP 4.0, but today we wanted to share a list from IT research firm Gartner, Inc. (IT), too.
Vertical markets for managed services providers (MSPs) have been discussed at many conferences this past year, and there's no doubt that the conversation will spill into 2014. But which vertical markets should MSPs look into? IT research firm Gartner, Inc. (IT) put together a quick list of projections for vertical markets in 2014 and beyond.
Vertical markets have been a large area of focus for many MSPs, and MSPs ignoring this market shift are already falling behind competitors. But success will not be determined by MSPs tackling today's profitable vertical markets. Thriving MSPs will be able to correctly project growing markets of the future.
Gartner identified a few upcoming vertical markets trends that could be of great use to MSPs looking to get a jumpstart on competition:
- By 2016, poor return on equity will drive more than 60 percent of banks worldwide to process the majority of their transactions in the cloud.
- By 2017, more than 60 percent of government organizations with a CIO and a chief digital officer will eliminate one of these roles.
- Full-genome sequencing will stimulate a new market for medical data banks, with market penetration exceeding three percent by 2016.
- By 2017, 40 percent of utilities with smart metering solutions will use cloud-based big data analytics to address asset-, commodity-, customer- or revenue-related needs.
- By year-end 2017, at least seven of the world's top 10 multichannel retailers will use 3D printing technologies to generate custom stock orders.
Gartner's other vertical market predictions included the following:
- By year-end 2015, inadequate ROI will drive insurers to abandon 40 percent of their current customer-facing mobile apps.
- By 2016, 60 percent of U.S. health insurers will know the procedure price and provider quality rating of shoppable medical services in advance.
- Through 2017, K-12 online education spending will increase 25 percent, while budgetary constraints will keep spending on traditional instructional categories stagnant.
- By 2018, 20 percent of the top 100 manufacturers' revenue will come from innovations that are the result of new cross-industry value experiences.
- By 2018, 3D printing will result in the loss of at least $100 billion per year in intellectual property globally.
- By 2017, 15 percent of consumers will respond to context-aware offers based on their individual demographics and shopper profiles.
- By 2015, 80 percent of life science organizations will be crushed by elements of big data, exposing poor ROI on IT investments.
Vertical markets will continue to offer great niche opportunities for MSPs looking to differentiate and build revenue.
Gartner also recently identified top trends that will significantly impact enterprise IT in the next three years.