Rudy… Rudy… Inspiring VARs and MSPs at IT Nation
And now for something completely different. The ConnectWise IT Nation keynote speaker this morning is not a famous entrepreneur. Rudy… Rudy… It’s not a famous CEO. Rudy… Rudy. And it’s not a rock star. It is Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger — the famed five-foot-nothing “athlete” who turned one tackle on the Notre Dame football field into a moving story for generations to come. So, what can Rudy possibly tell VARs and MSPs about life, work and the pursuit of happiness? Here are eight highlights.
1. Keynote Material?: Ruettiger conceded that some people say he’s not a good public speaker. His tongue-in-cheek response: “I’m getting paid, you’re not… So have a seat.”
2. Secret to Success: “You need to know something to be someone. You want something you gotta go get it.”
3. Stick With It: It took Ruettiger 10 years to find a producer willing to make the movie Rudy.
4. Surround Yourself With the Best: “When you’re around people with great energy, great things happen.” Also, understand the “law of attraction. You’re attracted to people with great attitudes.”
5. Tune Out the Distractions: “You’re dumb, you’re too short, you’re too slow, you’re too ugly. They said Rudy could never read a book because I’m dyslexic.” Ruettiger went on to write a book.
6. Small Words, Big Results: “Pride, character, commitment… the little things pay off.”
7. March Forward: “You only learn from failure. You don’t win by not trying. Most people who fail… win. Failure means you’re trying. When you really fail it means you don’t try. Be the best you can be and forget the rest. Live in your moment.”
8. You Can’t Please Everyone: Ruettiger conceded that some of the Notre Dame teammates didn’t like him. “Judge people for their character, and how they pick people up.”
For someone who isn’t a good speaker, Ruettiger sure know how to wow a crowd. The VAR Guy’s coverage of IT Nation continues throughout today.