Nimsoft Survey: Managed Services Push Into the Enterprise
Conventional wisdom says most managed service providers (MSPs) target small businesses that have 100 or fewer seats and no IT management team. But a new survey from Nimsoft reveals that experienced MSPs can successfully target businesses with 1,000 or more employees.
Of course, Nimsoft positions its software for enterprise-class remote monitoring and management opportunities. So it’s in Nimsoft’s best interest to evangelize MSP success in larger deployments.
Still, the survey results are worth exploring and may help some MSPs to unlock new revenue opportunities in larger settings. Here are some survey highlights.
- Survey Background: The survey involved MSPs with five to 20 years experience. The MSPs are located in more than 20 different countries.
- New managed service offerings for medium to large enterprises have generated quarterly revenue increases of 25 percent or greater in the past 18 months, according to roughly 40 percent of the respondents.
- Approximately 40 percent of respondents said up to 30 percent of their client base reflected 1,000 or more employees
- More than 65 percent of respondents managed enterprises with 500 to 999 employees.
Here’s a look at some of the new services the MSPs have introduced in the past 18 months:
- Approximately 59 percent now offer network monitoring
- 40 percent of respondents have added database monitoring
- 32 percent extended monitoring to Unix systems, such as HP-UX, AIX and Solaris
- 38 percent indicated they broadened monitoring services to commercial applications, such as Microsoft Exchange and Citrix
- Nearly 30 percent reported expanded monitoring to industry-specific applications and custom applications
- Approximately 45 percent reported that they added end-user monitoring
- 75 percent indicated that the monitoring of service level agreements was a new service
Clearly, Nimsoft is positioning itself (and its MSP customers) upstream from small business MSPs that focus more on patch management, pro-active Windows server monitoring, storage and security services.