Cyber Monday: VMware’s Special Gift to Parallels Users
Still skeptical about the consumerization of IT? From Dell to VMware, numerous corporate IT vendors are promoting Cyber Monday product discounts. Sure, many of the Cyber Monday sales involve consumer PCs, notebooks and smart phones. But take a closer look and you’ll see some corporate IT solutions generating some Cyber Monday buzz as well. Plus, VMware appears to be targeting Parallels’ installed base. Here’s the update.
Over 106 million people plan to shop online on November 29th, Cyber Monday, compared to 95.6 million people in 2009, according the National Retail Federation (NRF), reports The Huffington Post. Here’s a quick list of what’s cooking on the technology front:
- Apple: Sorry folks, no huge discounts today. After all, why would Steve Jobs slash prices when full-priced Apple products remain in high demand? Still, there are some noteworthy savings on iPad, iPod, iPhone and Mac accessories. Plus free shipping on orders over $50. Also, check out Mac-related deals over on MacMall.
- Dell: A lengthy list of deeply discounted consumer and small business items, including a Dell Aero for 99 cents… But here’s the really interesting twist: Even some Dell servers are part of the Cyber Monday sale.
- Hewlett-Packard: Plenty of consumer products from HP, though the really interesting deal involves a 20 percent ink discount.
- Lenovo: The ThinkPad remains one of the best-known laptop brands within corporate IT. For Cyber Monday, Lenovo is offering special pricing on a range of ThinkPads, ThinkCentres and tablets.
- Microsoft: In recent days The VAR Guy has noticed quite a few partners offering two-for-one deals on Windows Phone 7 smartphones. The VAR Guy wonders: Will the two-for-one promotions help Microsoft to build Windows Phone 7’s market share? Or is the special offer a sign that Windows Phone 7 sales aren’t off to a strong start? Hmmm…
- IBM: Instead of pitching products IBM’s home page promotes green messaging.
- VMware: This is the sale that caught The VAR Guy’s attention. VMware is offering a 50-percent discount on VMware Fusion 3.1. Oh, and take a closer look: VMware is attacking Parallels as part of a Cyber Monday promotion. The VAR Guy always enjoys a good cat fight… even if it’s only virtual.
Will The VAR Guy open his own wallet on Cyber Monday? The answer is yes. Our resident blogger picked up a digital SLR camera. He’s looking to take better photos during 2011 press conferences and keynotes at major partner channel conferences — such as these channel events.