Back to Basics: How MSPs Use Remote Monitoring and Management Tools
Even as MSPmentor looks at emerging market opportunities, it sometimes makes sense to go back to basics. A case in point: For VARs that are still trying to figure out the managed services market, here are the top reasons many MSPs leverage remote monitoring and management software. Plus a look at one of the biggest challenges facing MSPs…
A quick tip of the hat: The data points below are from GFI Software, which acquired RMM software maker HoundDog Technology in mid-2009. More than 200 MSPs participated in a GFI-sponsored survey, which was conducted in mid-2009. Highlights include:
- Almost 90% of respondents say they use RMM software because it offers a faster fix response time and it offers proactive maintenance.
- 56% of respondents admit their staff doesn’t have time to learn an entire RMM system.
- And, of those who do try to learn the full system, 40% of IT support managers say they think their technical teams get too buried in the detail of RMM tool deployment and lose focus on customers.
- 41% said it takes longer than one month to fully train technicians about the system.
- 53% said they pay for areas of the system which they don’t use.
- 51% of respondents said they find it difficult to show customers value from Managed Services Contracts.
For me the key MSP challenge involves that last bullet point: If MSPs can’t articulate the value of managed services contracts how can they hope to sell customers on proactive services?
Of course it’s important to put the GFI survey data points in proper context. As a SaaS-oriented RMM provider, GFI Software’s mission is to promote simplicity over rival on-premise RMM options. Or as the GFI Software spokeswoman put it, GFI wants to show MSPs and VARs how to leverage RMM software “to its full potential without it taking up too much time.”