Six Channel Partner Blogs The VAR Guy Didn’t Write: July 30
The VAR Guy spent most of this week at the Avnet Technology Solutions Partner Summit, where some alarming conversations took place. Now that our resident blogger is back home on Long Island’s Gold Coast, here are six channel partner blog entries The VAR Guy didn’t have time to write for the week ending July 30, 2010.
7. Circle the Date(s): For the second consecutive year, Symantec and ConnectWise are hosting major partner events the same week. But some creative road warriors may find time to attend both events. The VAR Guy hears Symantec Partner Exchange 2010 runs November 2-4 (more details soon…) in Las Vegas, while ConnectWise IT Nation 2010 (formerly ConnectWise Partner Summit) runs Nov. 4-6 in Orlando.
6. Keeping it Real: Two well-known veterans of the solutions provider market — Calgary Consultant Stuart Crawford and Small Biz Author Karl W. Palachuk — on Aug. 5 will host a Small Business Podcast about maintaining Work-Life balance. That’s been a hot topic for MSPs and VARs. But The VAR Guy wonders: Does the Crawford-Palachuk podcast count as work… or as play?
5. Smart Partners: SMBNation and Aspen University have launched a training partnership for technical SMB channel partners. The effort involves an online Pocket MBA program. Meanwhile, AIIM and Gimmal Group have launched a certificate program focused Microsoft SharePoint 2010. Now, The VAR Guy’s crazy question to readers: Are you certifiable?
4. Breaking Away — And Getting Together: The VAR Guy’s inbox is flooded with news and meeting requests related to CompTIA Breakaway. Our resident blogger is still sorting through all the news tips. A few involve some key career moves involving channel chiefs, media pros and research experts. Also of interest: Rauline Ochs, senior VP of Everything Channel’s IPED, will attend Breakaway — a sign that CompTIA and Everything Channel are trying to cooperate even as they compete on some fronts (such as Breakaway vs. XChange).
3A. Competing and Cooperating: Sure, The VAR Guy noticed some potential competition between Oracle and Cisco Systems this week. But our resident blogger is hearing chatter involving some strategic cooperation between Oracle and Cisco…. The VAR Guy is still fact-checking the info.
3B. Live… From Redwood Shores: Separately, it sounds like Oracle Channel Chief Judson Althoff is working on some embedded-related efforts — when he’s not preparing for his closeup on Oracle TV. Stay tuned.
2. Uncle Sam vs. Larry Ellison & Co,: Speaking of Oracle, the U.S. government alleges Oracle defrauded the government by overcharging for software. Meanwhile, IBM faces an anti-trust probe in Europe. For the record, The VAR Guy hasn’t received any lawsuits or cease-and-desist letters this week… though he hasn’t checked his street mailbox today.
1. Check the Headline: This remains a weekly top six list, reducing The VAR Guy’s workload on this blog entry by one-seventh every week — efficient, eh? Plus, that one-seventh of extra time frees you up for more important matters, like Gerard’s Song of the Day…
Thanks for reading. The VAR Guy enjoys all the daily dialog.