According to the second-annual MSPmentor 100 survey results -- which we'll release in February 2009 -- the world's top 100 managed service providers experienced strong growth in 2008. As a whole, the MSPmentor 100 companies increased their recurring managed services revenue 60 percent in 2008 vs. 2007. But that's not all.
Here are some other preliminary survey highlights:
- The MSPmentor 100 companies -- representing small, midsize and large organizations -- generated nearly half-a-billion dollars (US) in combined managed services revenue in 2008.
- 87 percent of MSPmentor 100 companies generated $1 million (US) or more in annual recurring managed services revenue in 2008. Only 54 percent of those same companies generated $1 million (US) or more in recurring managed services revenue in 2007.
- 20.6% of survey participants say they host managed services systems for peer VARs and MSPs.
- The MSPmentor 100 companies managed a combined 708,993 customer nodes in 2008, up from 408,486 nodes in 2007 -- a 73.6 percent year-over-year increase.
Bigger Isn't Always BetterAlso of note: MSPmentor 100 companies are not necessarily the world's "largest" MSPs. Our survey and resulting report leverages a number of metrics to identify the world's top 100 MSPs. Variables we examine include (but are not limited to):
- Overall MSP revenue in 2008
- Annual MSP revenue growth (in dollars)
- Annual MSP revenue growth (in percent)
- Percent of revenue from managed services
- Devices managed
- Devices managed (2008 vs. 2007, number increase)
- Devices managed (2008 vs. 2007, percent increase)
- And several other factors
Finding This Year's ReportWe'll publish the MSPmentor 100 list (2008-2009 edition) -- plus a free downloadable PDF report -- in early February. You'll find it in our MSPmentor 100 Center. In the meantime, you can visit the center to view the 2007-2008 report and download last year's research PDF.
Please send questions or comments to MSPmentor Editorial Director Joe Panettieri (joe [at] ninelivesmediainc.com).
MSPmentor is updated multiple times daily. Don’t miss a single post. Subscribe to our Enewsletter, RSS feed, Twitter feed and the MSPmentor Resource Center.