MSPmentor 100 Survey Opening Today: What’s New This Year?
The sixth-annual MSPmentor 100 survey will open at 8:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT today. Please Note: Before you participate in the survey give this blog a closer read for some background on how the survey works and some enhancements this year.
We use the survey to identify the world’s top 100 managed services providers (MSPs), and we’ll also publish regional break-out lists for North America, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), Central and South America, and AANZ (Asia, Australia, New Zealand).
The survey is open to all MSPs worldwide, and runs through Dec. 28, 2012. Survey results will surface in February 2013. This year’s survey gathers some familiar metrics and some new metrics.
Key areas include:
- The heart of the matter: Annual recurring revenues 2012 vs. 2011, number of devices managed, etc.
- Services you can brag about: An expanded list of managed services and cloud services that you can mention.
- Markets you’re targeting: An expanded list of vertical markets as target markets. For instance, last year’s survey participants asked us to add “residential/consumer” and “agriculture,” among others.
- Your partnerships: Additional vendor choices listed across cloud services, RMM, PSA, business management, mobile device management and more. For instance, dozens of survey participants from last year mentioned “Bomgar” as a key vendor we were not tracking. We fixed that with this year’s survey.
- MDM, MAM: Mobile Device Management (MDM) and Mobile Applications Management (MAM) broken out into its own section this year. If you’re supporting iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8, RIM BlackBerry and other tablet/smartphone platforms, you can now brag about it.
- IT Service Management: A NOC, help desk and IT service desk section also broken out into its own area this year.
- Top Sales Experts: Who are the top MSP industry sales executives? This year’s survey will find the answer.
Tips for completing the survey:
- Link: The survey link will go live at 8:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT today. It will run through December 28, 2012. Stay tuned for the survey link here: http://www.mspmentor.net/top-100-msps
- Take Your Time: Instead of racing to complete the survey, take your time and read ALL of the questions first. Make sure you have all the data you need at your fingertips before starting the survey.
- How to Get “On” The List: We don’t play favorites. The MSPmentor 100 and the associated regional lists are not popularity contests. The resulting lists are based on your financial metrics (annual recurring revenues, number of devices managed, etc.) rather than all the different services you offer. Stick with the facts and remember: A lot of MSPs that land on the list ultimately become acquisition targets. Potential buyers will be turned off if you promoted big (but erroneous or misleading) growth statistics in the MSPmentor 100 survey.
- What are the baseline metrics required to get on the list?: Actually, we don’t know. It’s sort of like running a marathon. We can’t rank you until the survey ends on Dec. 28, 2012. Once all survey participants cross that finish line on December 28, we start crunching the numbers. Results will surface in February 2013.
- Can Small MSPs qualify for the MSPmentor 100?: Absolutely yes. It’s safe to expect a mix of small, midsize and large MSPs on the list. So jump into the survey and be sure to participate, regardless of your company size.
Got questions? Feel free to post a comment below or email me directly:
- joe [dot] panettieri [at] penton [dot] com
- joe [at] NineLivesMediaInc [dot] com
Most folks know my Nine Lives address, which remains active indefinitely. But Penton acquired Nine Lives about 14 months ago, so I’ve been living more and more with the penton dot com address as my primary.
Thanks in advance to MSPs that participate in this survey.