MSPmentor 100: Keeping Score and Next Steps
Now that readers have had a couple of days to digest the latest MSPmentor 100 results, we’re sorting through scores of emails from readers who want more information about the current research and future research. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions MSPmentor has received along with a few thoughts/replies.
Question 1: How do I participate in the MSPmentor 100 survey each year?
Answer: It runs every October through December. We publish results each February. The survey is free and open to all MSPs worldwide. Just watch our MSPmentor 100 center (http://www.mspmentor.net/top-100-msps) for the latest survey link each October.
Question 2: We completed the MSPmentor 100 survey but we were not featured on the MSPmentor 100 list. Can I still find out my overall ranking?
Answer: Sure. Simply send me an email (joe [at] NineLivesMediaInc [dot] com) with the subject line:
- “Ranking Please: Your Full Company Name”
I concede we did a poor job responding to such inquiries in 2010. But this year we’ve got all the data at our fingertips. Please allow us a few business days to reply, though, since we’re swamped with inquiries.
Question 3: Did you know one of the companies on the MSPmentor 100 appears twice, under two different company names?
Answer: Hats off to about four readers who pointed out the error, and shame on our own fact checking. We goofed on that one. The good news: One more company will show up on the MSPmentor 100 the week of February 21. We’ll be sure to do a special shout-out to that company.
Question 4: How do you rank MSPs?
Answer: We use a weighted index that includes metrics like (A) annual recurring revenue, (B) recurring revenue percentage growth rate, (C) recurring revenue actual dollar growth (D) devices managed (E) revenue per employee and more. All financial figures are submitted using U.S. dollars as a common standard. By using items like A and B, we ensure a mix of small, fast-growing MSPs can receive the attention they deserve amid larger, more mature MSPs.
Question 5: Back in 2008, we were ranked near the top of the MSPmentor 100. We’ve grown rapidly yet our ranking has fallen a bit each year. Why?
Answer: The number of MSPs participating in annual survey more than quadrupled from 2008 to 2010, with a steady influx of MSPs located outside the United States. It’s sort of like competing in an annual marathon where the rest of the competitive field keeps expanding, and the competition also becomes more fierce. Overall, you may still be within the top 20% of the MSPs we track… but the number of MSPs we’re tracking has quadrupled.
Question 6: Our company missed the opportunity to participate in the MSPmentor 100 survey. Are you working on any other surveys?
Answer: Absolutely. Here’s the background on each one.
- MSPmentor 250, our fourth-annual look at the world’s top managed services experts, entrepreneurs and executives. The survey is open now and runs through June 24, 2011. Results will be published in August 2011.
- Talkin’ Cloud 50, our first-annual look at the most successful VARs and MSPs within the cloud computing ecosystem. If you’re a solutions provider promoting online backup, SaaS security, hosted email, hosted CRM and other cloud-centric solutions than this may be an opportunity for you. Most of the early survey participants are VARs introducing cloud services to SMB customers. Deadline for submission is March 31. Results will be published in Q2, 2011.
- The Channel Finance 25, our first-annual look at lenders and financial organizations that assist VARs, MSPs and solutions providers. The survey is closed but results will be announced in March 2011. The second-annual survey will debut in October 2011.
- The MSPmentor 100… watch for the fifth-annual survey to start in October 2011.
Question 7: I still have more questions about the MSPmentor 100 and your other research. Where can I turn for help?
Answer: Feel free to email me, joe [at] NineLivesMediaInc [dot] com.
That’s All Folks
Sign up for MSPmentor’s Weekly Enewsletter, Webcasts and Resource Center. Follow us via RSS, Facebook, Identi.ca and Twitter. Check out more MSP voices at www.MSPtweet.com. Read our editorial disclosure here.