Live Blog Apple iPhone 5 Launch: 10 BYOD, MDM Questions
As Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) launches the iPhone today, I have a confession: I’m starting to get bored with Apple. The first iPhone was revolutionary. Later generations were (yawn…) evolutionary. But there’s still opportunity here for MSPs. From the iPhone 5 to the latest Windows Phone 8 devices and Microsoft surface tablets, you’ve got a chance to shift the conversation from tactical (“buy this device”) to the strategic. Here’s how.
Ultimately, product launches are inflection points that drive customer conversations. Customers will surely ask you, “what do you think of the new iPhone 5?” Some may even ask about associated services — such as Apple iCloud.
Instead of answering the questions directly, you should respond with your own questions. Here are 10 questions to get you started:
- Why are you asking about the iPhone 5?
- The big question: Are you looking to mobilize your employees? If so, which departments and why?
- Do you have a BYOD (bring your own device) corporate policy? Do you also have mobile and overall IT services policies for your employees?
- Do you know what mobile devices your employees already use?
- What business applications do your employees already access from mobile devices?
- What business applications do your employees still need to access?
- How are your employees currently sourcing their devices and related applications?
- How would you like your employees to ultimately source those devices and applications?
- What type of information storage and data protection policies do you have?
- How are you ensuring mobile devices adhere to those storage and data protection policies?
The VAR Guy, MSPmentor’s sister site, will have live coverage of the iPhone 5 launch today, starting at 10 a.m. PT/1:00 p.m. ET. Our goal is to push beyond the device specs and zero in on the channel and business implications.