Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 With Windows 8: Business Details
Lenovo‘s ThinkPad Tablet 2 running Windows 8 will ship in October, countering Apple’s iPad particularly in business markets. The ThinkPad 2 Tablet will integrate tightly with Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, Outlook, Active Directory and other corporate business applications, and it also offers a pen stylus, said Lenovo VP Dilip Bhatia. “Ladies and gentleman, this is the tablet the industry has been waiting for,” said Bhatia during an announcement Aug. 8 in New York. Here are the details and a FastChat Video…
…of the announcement.
[youtube width=”300″ height=”256″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppj3-G_Fi-o[/youtube]
“It’s designed for professionals and it’s designed life,” said Bhatia, speaking at a Lenovo event honoring the ThinkPad’s 20th anniversary. Among his key points:
- First, it will provide a “great mobile experience” — weighing less than 600 grams, 10 hours of battery life, with 3G and 4G wireless capabilities.
- A full-size USB port, HDMI capabilities
- Multi-user login for doctors, sales reps and lawyers
- A real pen stylus allows students to write formulas and real graphs
- It will be available in October when Windows 8 is available
Lenovo also announced a developer program to ensure programmers write Windows 8 apps that work extremely well with the company’s tablets, ultrabooks, smart phones, smart TVs, and more.
In essence, Lenovo is declaring war against Apple in the corporate market, introducing ultrabooks and tablets designed for vertical market applications. The big question: Can Lenovo get developers to write Windows 8 apps specifically for the company’s hardware? The VAR Guy will be watching…
Oh, side note: Lenovo did not disclose pricing for the ThinkPad Tablet 2