App Security Update: MobileIron’s Mysterious Product Video
Where is mobile application management (MAM) heading in the next few years for managed services providers (MSPs)? A new video released by MobileIron Vice President of Marketing Vittorio Viarengo (pictured) hinted at new way for MSPs to manage applications and secure corporate data. MobleIron referred us to this mysterious video, but wouldn't comment on on the solution any further. What's going on?
First, let's take a look at the following points regarding the company's recent activity, suggesting that it's getting ready for a product release in the near future:
- scroll through the company's press releases in the past month, and you'll more than likely come to the conclusion that MobileIron has been pretty quiet;
- MobileIron's blog has already been updated twice this month — already ahead of March; and
- the company has neglected its YouTube account, until now.
We do not have an exact release date for the company's new solution, but we can speculate that a new product will be released at some point this year — possibly around the end of Q2 or Q3.
If you take a look at the video, you'll find that the company doesn't offer much meat on the upcoming release, but it does provide the following teasers:
- MobileIron will continue to talk about applications being the next big thing;
- the solution will be an alternative to virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and application wrapping (app wrapping);
- administrators will be able to do native apps without the risk of data loss;
- apps will be native, but data will remain in the cloud;
- “Unwrap the App” may be the slogan of choice for the product; and
- the solution will be called MobileIron AppReflect.
We'll continue to follow this story as it unfolds.