Apple iOS (the iPhone and iPad operating system) is opening a "dramatic enterprise lead" over Google Android in the business market, according to new research from Appcelerator and IDC. MSPmentor sees two potential implications for managed services providers (MSPs) that are evaluating mobile device management (MDM) options for smart phones and tablets.
First, the research.
- 53.2 percent of developers expect iOS to win the battle as an enterprise mobile operating system
- 37.5 percent of developers expect Android to win the battle.
- That's a "dramatic" 16 percent lead for Apple.
How did Apple gain mind share with developers? Appcelerator and IDC point to multiple factors:
- the popularity of the iPad;
- frequent reports of Android malware;
- enterprise challenges in dealing with potential Android fragmentation.
Implications for MSPsMSPmentor's initial reaction?
- First, MSPs will still mobile device management (MDM) software or cloud services that support multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8, RIM BlackBerry).
- But second, perhaps iOS will emerge as the "preferred" platform upon which MSPs write mobile applications. I suspect fewer than 5 percent of MSPs are writing mobile apps, but the trend is under way.