5 Biggest Advantages of Cloud Backup
According to a recent study by Spiceworks sponsored by Carbonite, data protection continues to be a challenge for small to medium sized businesses. The study found that 60 percent of small-to-medium sized businesses (SMBs) prefer to back up their company’s data using direct-attached storage, with the majority of businesses (56 percent) having no plans to migrate to cloud backup.
According to a recent study by Spiceworks sponsored by Carbonite, data protection continues to be a challenge for small to medium sized businesses. The study found that 60 percent of small-to-medium sized businesses (SMBs) prefer to back up their company’s data using direct-attached storage, with the majority of businesses (56 percent) having no plans to migrate to cloud backup. However, data is considered by many to be a company’s most valuable asset. In fact, 45 percent of respondents said their organization had experienced data loss and 14 percent were never able to restore their lost business information. According to FEMA, more than 40 percent of small businesses never reopen their doors after a disaster.
Here are the five biggest advantages of cloud backup:
- Affordable. Small businesses don’t have unlimited IT budgets. It’s important to use a solution that makes sense and won’t require your customer to incur a capital expenditure. For as low as a few hundred dollars per year, your customers can have all of their data backed up to the cloud.
- Anytime, Anywhere Access. Having data in the cloud allows your customers to have access to their data anytime and anywhere. As long as there is access to the Internet, through a computer or a smartphone app, all files are readily available. There is no need to have to travel around with a laptop or go back to the office to see that important file.
- Off-Site. It’s important to keep a copy of files offsite. Even if business files are backed up on a file server, a hurricane, flood, fire or theft could destroy the computers… and backups. Keeping backed up files in the cloud ensures data is safe no matter what is going on at your office.
- Simple. Cloud backup solutions have made ongoing management and restoration easy. With just a few clicks of the mouse, backed up files can be easily found and restored.
- Automatic. Time is one of the most commonly stated reasons companies aren’t backing up their data. Cloud backup doesn’t require an additional time commitment for you or your customer. Computer files are backed up to the cloud automatically and continuously, whenever you’re connected to the Internet.
The cloud has changed the data backup industry. Because of its affordable price point, SMBs are able to get an offsite solution that automatically backs up all of their data. The solution is simple and the data is available anytime and anywhere.
At Carbonite, we offer cloud backup and recently announced a beta program for synchronization. If you’re interested in learning more about Carbonite’s Reseller Program, please email or call us at 877.391.4759.
David Hauser is Channel Director at Carbonite, a leading cloud backup service provider. Monthly guest blogs such as this one are part of The VAR Guy’s annual platinum sponsorship program. Read all of Carbonite’s guest blogs here.