Dell’s VMware Portfolio Upgrade Offers Better Unified, Digital Experience
VMWARE VMWORLD — Dell Inc.’s VMware portfolio of solutions just got broader with an expansion of offers from the edge to the core to the cloud.
The new solutions include enhanced integrations for a better unified and digital experience across PC and mobile devices, software-defined data centers, hyperconverged infrastructures and multicloud platforms.
Starting at the edge, Dell announced Dell Provisioning for VMware Workspace One and the expansion of the Dell PC as a Service (PCaaS) offering. The former, offered in conjunction with VMware, is designed to boost workforce transformation on the client side, while streamlining operations, and eliminating costly and mundane tasks.
“Both of these solutions and capabilities are delivering the workforce transformation that our customers are asking for — delivering zero-touch capability and having a PC shipped directly from Dell to the user, enabling the user to work from day one,” said Tom Ricoy, director, client solutions strategy and product management at Dell.
PCaaS provides businesses with a predictable, monthly cost for devices and accessories, as well as software as a service (SaaS) included in a monthly cost, financed through Dell Financial Services. The expanded PCaaS for Business is designed for small and medium-size businesses (SMBs) with 20-300 units. A rebranded PCaaS for Enterprise is for companies requiring more than 300 units.
The offers are configurable with financing options for three and four years with a planned system refresh. Delivery touches 21 countries in Europe and North America — and now includes Australia and New Zealand.
At the core, Dell made a number of announcements:Dell Provisioning for VMware Workspace One includes software, peripherals, life-cycle services and financing — also in a predictable price-per-seat-per-month model. This capability can be bundled into either of the new Dell PCaaS offers.
- Increased workload capacity, performance, scalability and control with the new Dell EMC VxRail G560, which delivers greater density in a 2U form factor that outperforms the previous Dell EMC VxRail G Series with 1.75X more cores; 2X increase in processing power; 4X more memory; and 3X capacity increase improvement in the boot device.
- Dell EMC synchronized Dell EMC VxRail Appliance and VMware vSAN update releases.
- Continuous innovation and reduction of risk with Dell EMC VxRack SDDC engineered with Dell EMC VxRail E, P, V and now S Series models, all based on 14th generation PowerEdge servers.
- The Dell EMC Networking Fabric Design Center now includes Dell EMC VxRail. The Fabric Design Center is an intuitive online tool designed to ensure the efficient and effective networking design.
- Dell EMC’s Future-Proof Loyalty Program protects customers’ core, edge and cloud investments, now including first-time HCI solution support with Dell EMC VxRail.
- Software-defined storage environment flexibility is extended with Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes support on the recently introduced Dell EMC PowerEdge MX, which provides a flexible platform for vSAN Ready Nodes as HCI building blocks. The PowerEdge MX can hold up to eight vSAN Ready Nodes and help create a foundation for a self-sustained VMware Cloud Foundation cluster with right-sized compute, storage and top-of-rack switching all in one high-density package, with the infrastructure managed through a single interface. The PowerEdge MX also supports SATA, SAS and NVMe storage devices, offering the cost benefits of storage tiering with VMware vSAN.
Dell on Monday also outlined cloud-based enhancements that stretch across platforms, infrastructure, solutions and its services portfolio to help customers maximize the value of their IT ecosystem and multicloud environments.
Availability for the new products are as follows:
- Dell Provisioning for VMware Workspace ONE is available Sept. 12, 2018.
- Dell PC-as-a-Service for Business and Dell PC-as-a-Service for Enterprise are available today.
- The Dell EMC VxRail G560 is available today through Dell EMC and its partners.
- The synchronous releases between Dell EMC VxRail and VMware will be available starting in the fourth quarter.
- The Dell EMC Networking Fabric Design Center is available today through Dell EMC and its partners, and features Dell EMC VxRail.
- Dell EMC vSAN Ready Node for PowerEdge MX is available Sept. 12, 2018.