Nexenta Announces NexentaConnect for VMware vSAN
Software-defined storage solution provider Nexenta announced the global availability of its NexentaConnect for VMware (VMW) Virtual SAN this week, which promises to provide clients with a way of streamlining the provisioning and management of file services on top of VMware vSAN. The solution also allows users to create hyper-converged solutions without the need for external storage arrays, according to the company.
Software-defined storage solution provider Nexenta announced the global availability of NexentaConnect for VMware (VMW) Virtual SAN this week, which promises to provide clients with a way of streamlining the provisioning and management of file services on top of VMware vSAN. The solution also allows users to create hyper-converged solutions without the need for external storage arrays, according to the company.
“We are focused on helping enterprises simplify, scale and automate their entire IT environments,” said Gaetan Castelein, senior director of Product Management, Software-Defined Storage at VMware, in a statement. “Nexenta’s latest SDS solution, NexentaConnect for VMware Virtual SAN, complements our VMware Virtual SAN, creating a hyper-converged storage infrastructure for the Software-Defined Data Center.”
VMware Virtual SAN is the virtualization giant’s first policy-driven storage product designed to automate manual storage tasks for vSphere environments. NexentaConnect was designed to sit on top of the existing virtual SAN and automatically matches system requirements with the correct storage, according to the company.
The solution also utilizes local vSAN storage in servers to provide users with NFS and SMB file services to virtual machines and virtual desktops, all of which are managed through a central vCenter console. The combination of Nexenta’s SDS solution with VMware vSAN is expected to help users deliver better performance than would be possible with a virtual appliance or an external device, according to the announcement.
“Working closely with VMware we have created a solution that offers users a hyper-converged solution that can granularly scale-up or scale-out your storage environment giving users the flexibility to grow their storage environment without costly over provisioning,” said Tarkan Maner, the chairman and CEO of Nexenta. It’s hardware-agnostic and it’s very simple, easy-to-use design increases operational efficiency, saving enterprises both time and money.”
Here is a rundown of the full list of features in NexentaConnect for VMware vSAN, straight from the press release:
- Provisions file services (NFSv3, NFSv4, SMB) on Virtual SAN within minutes
- Integrates management through VMware vCenter
- Provides Security and Domain integration, AD with AAA and Kerberos support
- Delivers capacity savings using inline compression and deduplication
- Stores all files needed to maintain the virtual infrastructure
- Provides IO acceleration with inline compression and advanced caching logic
- Enhances performance and health monitoring
- Delivers folder and volume level snapshots, replication and backup capabilities for DR scenarios
- Maintains data integrity during various stress, network/disk/host recovery
- Is 100% compatible with VMware HA and DRS
- Is serviceable via Rest APIs
- Is validated for VDI workloads up to thousands of users
- Leverages VSAN data protection and high availability
NexentaConnect is available now through the company’s global reseller network.