Google Apps and Google Android are two key areas of the search titan’s enterprise initiative. And now the two meet as Google announces the addition of Android smartphone management to the Google Apps cloud suite. Here’s the scoop.
This kind of management was portended back in July 2010, when Google Apps enhanced its mobile device control for all smartphone platforms. According to the Google Enterprise blog entry, with this update, administrators of Android 2.2 devices get management options in the Google Apps control panel like:
- Remotely wipe all data from lost or stolen mobile devices
- Lock idle devices after a period of inactivity
- Require a device password on each phone
- Set minimum lengths for more secure passwords
- Require passwords to include letters and numbers
Google claims 200,000 Android device activations per day -- an impressive statistic by any definition. But are MSPs remotely managing Android devices for their customers? If so, we'd like to hear more about the early opportunities... and challenges.
Sign up for MSPmentor’s Weekly Enewsletter, Webcasts and Resource Center. Follow us via RSS, Facebook, Twitter. Find more voices at www.MSPtweet.com. Read our editorial disclosure here.