rPath Releases App Automation for Private, Hybrid Clouds
Private cloud application engine provider rPath has released a new application automation solution for private cloud and hybrid cloud environments called the rPath Cloud Engine. Here’s a little insight on how the new cloud solution works.
The rPath Cloud Engine is built on the rPath X6, an end-to-end application management and automation platform that also supports OpenStack and the VMWare vCloud Director. The Cloud Engine is designed to replace conventional ways of image creation, such as golden images and manual scripts, with what the company is calling “push-button” image creation. Ultimately, according to rPath, the solution will give its technology vendor and managed service provider partners a faster, more consistent, more reliable way to deliver critical applications within private and hybrid clouds.
Here’s a complete list of the Cloud engine’s features, provided by rPath:
- Ability to access critical applications through web browsers or through the rPath Cloud Engine GUI
- Application delivery across heterogeneous environments and on-demand systems update and rollback
- Multi-tenancy to enable customers to meet specific requirements without compromising their network’s reliability
- Open architecture for customers to more easily explore and leverage new technology
- Licensing, pricing, support and services packages for easy co-selling and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) cloud-technology bundling
We first got word of the Cloud Engine at the VMworld 2011 conference in Las Vegas in early September 2011. That’s when rPath showcased the Cloud Engine running on a Cisco Systems automation stack. Now that rPath partners have their hands on the Cloud Engine, we’ll look for those APAC and European partnerships that rPath Vice President of Channel Strategy Shawn Edmondson spoke about at VMworld.