HPE Connects the Edge to the Cloud
HPE DISCOVER — With Wednesday’s launch of the the Edgeline edge-to-cloud family of products, companies will be able to run unmodified enterprise-class applications in their hybrid cloud environments at the edge, in data centers and in the cloud.
So says HPE, which announced the new offer at its Discover event in Las Vegas.
The new HPE Edgeline products are designed to help businesses simplify their hybrid IT environments, particularly organizations that create large amounts of data – most of it created at the edge – in remote and distributed locations, such as factories, oil rigs or energy grids.
“The edge is increasingly becoming a centerpiece of the digital enterprise where things and people generate and act on massive amounts of data,” said Dr. Tom Bradicich, vice president and general manager, IoT and converged edge systems at HPE. “With our edge-to-cloud solutions, enterprise-class IT capabilities from the data center are now available at the edge. This reduces the software and IT administration costs, while accelerating insight and control across the organization and supply chain.”
The new five solution architectures were developed in collaboration with HPE software partners, are HPE-tested and validated, and run on the HPE Edgeline EL1000 and the EL4000 Converged Edge Systems, in combination with data-center and cloud deployments.
The enterprise stacks include:
- Microsoft Azure Stack, which addresses latency and connectivity requirements by processing data locally in Azure Stack and then aggregating in Azure for further analytics, sharing common application logic across both.
- SAP Hana, an in-memory data platform that accelerates business processes, delivers business intelligence and simplifies IT environments.
- PTC ThingWorx, an end-to-end technology platform designed for the industrial IoT, empowering business to rapidly develop and deploy applications and augmented reality (AR) experiences.
- SparkCognition’s SparkPredict, a cognitive engine for machine prognostics, enabling predictive capabilities by providing advanced failure notice.
- Citrix XenApp, an application virtualization solution that helps customers optimize productivity with universal access to virtual apps, desktops and data from any device.
HPE also announced the Edgeline Extended Storage Adapter option kit, which adds up to 48 terabytes of software-defined storage to HPE Edgeline Converged Edge Systems. This enhancement enables storage-intensive use cases like artificial intelligence (AI), video analytics or databases at the edge, while leveraging industry-standard storage management tools such as Microsoft Storage Spaces, HPE StoreVirtual VSA and VMware vSAN.
Advisory and transformation services are delivered by HPE Pointnext to help define and execute blueprints and road maps for edge-to-cloud solutions focused on the customer’s business goals and specific transformation needs. HPE Pointnext also delivers operational services to help customers manage day-to-day operational tasks in an edge-to-cloud environment, removing complexity and responding rapidly to business demands. And with HPE GreenLake, HPE offers a suite of on-premises, pay-per-use infrastructure and solutions for workloads including big data, backup, database platform, SAP HANA, and edge computing.
HPE Edgeline edge-to-cloud solutions are available worldwide. Solution pricing depends on size and complexity of the installation. The HPE Edgeline Extended Storage Adapter option kit will be available in September 2018, with list prices starting at $299.