Cisco, VMware Expand Partnership for ‘Next-Gen’ Cloud
Cisco Systems (NASDAQ: CSCO) and VMware (NYSE: VMW) will be expanding their strategic partnership that will see the companies integrate their products that are aimed at delivering the software-defined data center.
The two companies have been working together for several years, including in bringing VCE appliances to market. In this expansion of their partnership, Cisco and VMware will invest in deeper integrations between VMware cloud infrastructure and management stacks and Cisco Data Center Networking and Fabric Computing platforms. The end result, they say, is the future ability to deliver “next-generation” cloud infrastructures.
As both are fairly focused channel sales companies, this should in time morph into new opportunities for channel cloud integrators and cloud providers. There’s a lot to this announcement, though, and it’s going to take some time to fully come to fruition.
A few highlights from the new Cisco/VMware partnership:
- Joint engineering investments will be made to launch new solutions that will significantly boost agile compute and network services, workload and workspace mobility, end-to-end visibility, and ease of troubleshooting across physical and virtual infrastructures.
- The integration of Cisco Nexus 1000V Series switches with the new VMware vCloud Suite 5.1.
- Joint development of Cisco Unified Computing System-based cloud solutions.
- Cisco will resell VMware vCloud Suite 5.1. (What does this mean for partners?)
- New integrated solutions for SMB and remote office/branch office customers featuring Cisco e-Series UCS servers and VMware View.
- These jointly developed solutions will be made available for VCE.
“The next-generation data center will enable customers to capture the value of VMware cloud infrastructure and management stacks along with the next wave of Cisco innovations in hardware, ASICs, systems and network programmability to deliver unprecedented scalability, security, diagnostics and policy management,” said Rob Lloyd, Cisco’s executive vice president, in a prepared statement.
The VMworld news is coming fast and furious this year, and it looks like there will be plenty of opportunities for channel partners to go around once the dust settles in San Francisco. Check out The VAR Guy’s coverage and thoughts on the launch of VMware vCloud Suite 5.1, which will play heavily into VMware’s strategy around the software-defined data center.
And don’t forget to check out the rest of our VMworld 2012 coverage on The VAR Guy.