VMware Bolsters Certification for Virtualization VARs and Cloud Partners
During the VMware Partner Exchange conference in Orlando, Fla., the virtualization giant unveiled a range of new certifications and specializations to help channel partners march forward into the cloud. What’s new? Here’s a sampling of VMware’s channel partner certification efforts.
Note: Most of the info below is lifted directly from VMware’s press release. Heck, at least The VAR Guy discloses when he’s lifting content. Our resident blogger is about to shift his attention to VMware CEO Paul Maritz’s keynote. But in the meantime here are those channel partner program updates…
1. New Specializations and Certifications: The new specializations, certifications and solution competencies include:
- Academic and Federal Specializations: Solution providers, corporate resellers, system integrators and outsourcers that focus on academic and U.S. Federal government customers are eligible for these specializations, according to VMware.
- Desktop Certification: A new three-tier VMware desktop certification. The first tier, VMware Certified Associate 4 – Desktop, is in beta and will be generally available in April 2011. The VMware Certified Professional 4 – Desktop and Certified Advanced Professional – Desktop certifications will follow later in 2011, VMware said.
- Virtualization of Business Critical Applications Solution Competency: The new solution competency will focus on enabling partners to migrate their customers’ business-critical applications and infrastructures to virtualized environments, VMware stated.
2. Expanding Toolkits: VMware launched Solution Enablement Toolkits (SETs) in September 2010, and since then, more than 26,000 SET documents have been downloaded, the company said. At Partner Exchange 2011, VMware introduced seven new SETs within the three current SET libraries:
- Infrastructure Virtualization Library: VMware vSphere Plan and Design; Virtualization Assessment
- Desktop Library: VMware ThinApp Plan and Design; VMware Optimization Kit for Windows 7; VMware View Plan and Design
- Business Continuity Library: VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Accelerator; VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Plan and Design
3. Growing Ecosystem: VMware says more than 150,000 individuals have trained via VMware Partner University.
4. Bonus, Bonus: VMware also bolstered its reward programs. The moves include…
- Renewal Systems and Rebates: Beginning in April 2011, VMware partners’ renewal business will be incorporated into the Partner Rewards quarterly rebate program, the company said.
- VMware Sales Rewards: Designed to reward accredited sales representatives within the VMware solution provider community for sales and training activities, VMware is announcing Sales Rewards — a points-based rewards program enabling partners to earn and redeem points for merchandise, gift cards, travel experiences and more, VMware stated.
- Solution Rewards: More than 1,700 partners are now participating. Solution Rewards is designed to accelerate profitability of partners who have invested in VMware Solution Competencies and demonstrated their capabilities by selling VMware’s new and emerging solutions, VMware added.
That’s all for now. Track all of The VAR Guy’s VMware Partner Exchange coverage by visiting the link http://www.thevarguy.com/tag/pex2011.