Six Channel Blogs The VAR Guy Didn’t Write: Dec. 11
The VAR Guy spent another week chasing (and missing) a few deadlines. Even with his growing staff, our resident blogger didn’t quite cover all the channel chatter this week. Here are six blog posts The VAR Guy didn’t write for the week ending Dec. 11, 2009.
7. CIO Chatter: John Tonnison will become Tech Data’s CIO in 2010, replacing Joseph Osbourn, who will retire by mid-year.
6. A Mental Vblock: Roughly a month since Cisco Systems, EMC and VMware announced the Vblock effort, The VAR Guy is still hearing from rival technology companies who say they aren’t concerned about Vblock. Ummm… if they’re not worried how come they always have Vblock on the mind?
In related news, Ingram Micro says it’s offering their Cisco, EMC or VMWare partners immediate access to the training and enablement support needed to deliver Vblock reference architecture.
5. Shattering Software Myths: Conventional wisdom says business intelligence software is just for large enterprises. But SAS Institute says more than 80 percent of the company’s 2009 commercial accounts are small and midsized enterprises. How many VARs were involved in those SMB deals? The VAR Guy is still checking.
4. Calling for Information: It has been awhile since The VAR Guy spoke with Unison Communications. You may recall Unison made a media splash in August 28, when the company announced an advertising-driven unified communications system. So what’s next from Unison? Rumors of big news in Q1 2010. The VAR Guy is dialing for answers.
3. Small or Big Deal?: Microsoft quietly acquired Opalis, a data center automation firm, back in October. Now the news is official. The VAR Guy wonders: Are solutions providers paying enough attention to Microsoft System Center?
2. Cisco Turns 25: The VAR Guy started covering Cisco Systems way back in 1992 for a certain unnamed print magazine filled with new Information every Week. But Cisco got its start long before The VAR Guy linked his first hub to a router. A quarter century? Where did the time go? And where is Jeff Paine — one of Cisco’s early PR reps? Jeff, are you out there?
1. Check the Headline: If you know The VAR Guy, you know he doesn’t play by the rules. There is no #1 on this list, because it’s a top six list.