Oracle’s Channel Team: Happy New Year (A Bit Early)
Move over, Dick Clark. Oracle Channel Chief Judson Althoff is ushering in the New Year a little early. Specifically, Oracle kicks off its fiscal year 2011 on June 1, and the channel team is taking several steps to ensure the Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) Specialized effort maintains its focus. Here are the details.
Before moving ahead, Althoff has also spent some time looking back on FY10 — which included Oracle launching more than 35 partner specializations, plus Althoff’s guidance to help partners pitch Sun servers and storage with Oracle software.
Still, Oracle is under attack on multiple fronts.
- SAP VP Kevin Gilroy says his company is winning 25 new customer deals per day — a thinly veiled suggestion that SAP is regaining momentum against Oracle.
- Hewlett-Packard has launched SAP-centric initiatives to compete with Oracle-Sun. HP has also partnered more closely with Red Hat to attack Sun.
- And IBM says roughly $500 million awaits Sun partners that work more closely with Big Blue.
Still, Oracle isn’t showing any signs of panic.
Oracle’s top brass in late March said integration following the Sun buyout was performing better than expected. Next up, it’s safe to expect at least two imminent moves by Oracle’s Althoff:
- First up, sources say Althoff on June 8 will host an internal, all-hands-on Worldwide Alliance and Channel kickoff meeting for fiscal year 2011. Some outside speakers are also expected to participate — including potential invites to value added distributors (VAD) that will likely share their OPN Specialized perspectives.
- Second, Althoff will host a Partner Kickoff event on June 29th.
With a little luck, The VAR Guy expects to be a fly on the wall for both events…