Memo From Dell: Partners Welcome At Dell World Summit
Michael Dell and top executives from Microsoft, Salesforce.com, Intel and VMware are confirmed to speak at the first-ever Dell World conference (Oct. 12-14, Austin, Texas). The event will attempt to help CIOs manage the Virtual Era of IT. Are channel partners invited? Absolutely yes. As Dell Channel Chief Greg Davis stated to The VAR Guy, “You know we welcome partners in all of our events.” Here’s the update.
First, a little background. The VAR Guy has openly wondered — a few times — if Dell will launch a dedicated worldwide partner conference. But a Dell spokeswoman says the company’s strategy is to integrate channel partners into Dell’s conferences. The spokeswoman noted:
“Yes, channel partners are definitely going to be invited to Dell World. The exact agenda is still being nailed down, but we anticipate partner participation across the spectrum of solutions we’ll be discussing at the event. We believe an integrated approach with channel partners provides the greatest benefits, so rather than a separate conference, our current strategy is more focused on combining events — very similar to the way we integrated channel partners at our Storage Forum in Orlando a couple of months ago.”
Ah yes: Storage Forum. The VAR Guy attended and he was impressed by what he heard.
Now along comes Dell World 2011. The purpose of the October even is to “bring together IT visionaries, leaders and experts from around the world and across industries to learn how to streamline investments that uncover efficiencies and ultimately drive innovation,” according to a Dell blog. Confirmed speakers, the blog says, include:
- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO
- Marc Benioff, Salesforce.com chairman and CEO
- Paul Maritz, VMware CEO
- Paul Otellini, Intel president and CEO
- Brad Anderson, senior vice president of Dell’s Enterprise Solutions group
- Paul Bell, president of Dell’s Public and Large Enterprise group
- Steve Felice, president of Dell’s Consumer, Small and Medium Business group
- Steve Schuckenbrock, president of Dell Services
Ahem… how about adding Channel Chief Greg Davis to the lineup? The move would allow Davis to tell CIOs how Dell PartnerDirect solutions providers can assist with on-premise and cloud innovations.
Side note: The week of October 9 is shaping up to be insanely busy for The VAR Guy. Among the conferences he hopes to infiltrate…
- Oct. 10-14: Novell BrainShare, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Oct. 10-14: N-able Partner Summit, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Oct. 12-13: Symantec Partner Engage, Chandler, Ariz. (anybody got a link?)
- Oct. 12-14: XChange Tech Innovators, Miami, Fla. (actually, The VAR Guy’s ID doesn’t work for this one…)
- Oct. 12-14: Dell World, Austin, Texas
Memo to Michael Dell: Can you lone The VAR Guy a personal jet that week?