High-Tech News The VAR Guy Forgot to Write: Oct. 7
It's Columbus Day here in the U.S., which means many businesses are closed for the holiday. But The VAR Guy is plugging away and in catch-up mode. In fact, here are six pieces of high-tech news for channel partners that The VAR Guy didn't have time to write for the week ending Oct. 7, 2011.
7. SAN Partner Program: Virtual Instruments, which specializes in storage area network (SAN) and virtual infrastructure solutions, has launched the Virtual Instruments Partner (VIP) Program. It's designed for VARs that are building out physical, virtual and private cloud solutions for customers.
6. New CEO, Evolving Brand: Pentaho, best-known for developing open source business intelligence software, has named Quentin Gallivan as its new CEO. Founding CEO, Richard Daley, shifts to the chief strategy officer position. In recent months Pentaho has been speaking less about open source BI, and talking more about Big Data and Cloud Analytics. And yes, Pentaho has been accelerating a partner strategy that includes integrators and OEMs.
5. SAP Seeks More Partners: Speaking on business analytics, SAP has launched a Build and Sell partner program that allows SAP channel partners to build, market and sell analyic applications based on SAP BusinessObjects. For more info, check out the SAP EcoHub and the SAP Channel Partner Portal.
4. Cisco Attacks HP, Again: The networking battle between Cisco Systems and HP continues to intensify. Skeptical? Check out this blog entry from Cisco. But of course, HP has taken more than a few shots at Cisco in recent months.
3. Michael Dell's Moment: Michael Dell and his executive will host Dell World this week in Austin, Texas. What should we expect to hear? How about a Dell strategy that reinforces what Michael told the Oracle OpenWorld conference last week in San Francisco?
2. Symantec and the Cloud: At the Symantec Partner Engage conference this week near Phoenix, watch for Symantec CEO Enrique Salem and Channel Chief Randy Cochran to offer some timely updates on Symantec's managed services and cloud strategies –and potential recurring revenue opportunities for VARs and MSPs.
1. Keeping Count: This is a top-six list. So there is no number one. Yes indeed, The VAR Guy sometimes cuts a few corners to meet his deadlines.