Top 100 MSPs: 7 Managed Services Trends Revealed (Right Now)
We're finalizing work on our sixth-annual MSPmentor 100 report. Complete results will surface during a Webcast on February 14. But if you'd like a preview of the results and some key trends we're seeing, here's a preview of some Top 100 Managed Services Providers (MSPs) data points.
7. Nearing $2 Billion: The Top 100 MSPs generated $1.91 billion in recurring revenues for 2012, up 20 percent from $1.59 billion in 2011.
6. Managed PCs: Those MSPs have 3.8 million PCs under management, up from 3.2 million in 2011. One of the MSPs on the list now manages more than 1.4 million PCs.
5. Here Come Tablets, Smart Phones: The top 100 MSPs manage 222,000 smart phones and tablets. But that figure is somewhat misleading and likely conservative. The reason: Many survey participants said they simply roll mobile device management (MDM) into a per-user or per-desktop cost, and don't actually break out the smartphone and tablet figures. We believe that could be a mistake, since MSPs may be spending more time managing mobile devices than they realize.
4. Managed Print Services: Total printers under management now exceeds 107,000 devices — up from 85,721 last year. Overall most MSPs participating in the survey indicated that (A) they don't offer MPS services yet or (B) they simply bundle it in for free with PC support. Again, that'sa mistake considering the time and focus maintaining a printer fleet typically requires.
3. Servers Under Management: The Top 100 MSPs now have more than 561,000 servers under management, up from 509,000 servers last year. But I'd be a bit wary of this market. Most major PC makers says server sales have stagnated as new applications shift to the cloud.
2. Regions to Watch: In addition to our global MSPmentor 100 list, we'll be rolling out such lists as:
- MSPmentor 50 EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) Edition
- MSPmentor 25 AANZ (Asia, Australia, New Zealand) Edition
- MSPmentor 200 North America Edition
- And maybe a few other surprises
1. Managed Services and the Cloud: So, how are MSPs spanning remote management of on-premises and cloud assets? We're seeing some clear trends develop. But mum's the word for now. I hope you join us for the February 14 Webcast for the deeper details.
Please note: The data points shared above involve preliminary results. Final results will arrive Feb. 14.