Managed Services: Seven Blogs MSPmentor Didn’t Write, March 8
I got a little sidetracked on Friday; former U.S. VP Al Gore was in town and I wanted to hear what he had to say. Now I'm in catch-up mode. So here are seven managed services provider (MSP) blogs and news stories the MSPmentor team didn't have a chance to write for the week ending March 8, 2013.
7. Thinking Bigger: CA Technologies' AppLogic team continues to expand its cloud relationship with CenturyLink, and it sounds like other cloud services providers (CSPs) are launching a range of offerings atop AppLogic. For a closer look at this emerging market opportunity check out this video. CA Technologies Senior VP Adam Famularo is overseeing the AppLogic push.
6. Monitoring Acquisition: Microsoft has acquired MetricsHub, which offers a cloud monitoring service for Windows Azure. Also, Amazon has been marching forward with its Trusted Advisor monitoring tool for Amazon Web Services. The writing on the wall is clear: MSPs better have cloud monitoring strategies in place, because public cloud providers are figuring out the market right now.
5. One to Watch: Keep your eyes on Cbeyond, which offers cloud, voice, mobile, network and application services through channel partners. The company made some noise at the recent Channel Partners Conference and Expo, and I sense more moves are coming…
3. Discover OpenStack: If you're an MSP with your own data center, then I think you better start to understand the OpenStack ecosystem — which is growing fast. The OpenStack Summit is set for April 15 in Portland, Oregon. IBM is the latest company to bet its cloud strategy on OpenStack, which hopes to become the Linux of cloud computing. I'm not suggesting OpenStack will achieve market dominance. But the noise is far too loud for MSPs to ignore, especially if you're building your own public cloud or deploying private clouds for customers.
2. Rallying MSPs: CharTec is set to host a Service Operations Academy March 21-22. What surprises does CEO Alex Rogers have in store?
1. Next Moves: I'm keeping a close eye Ingram Micro Cloud Summit (April 8-10) — which is set to attract more than 900 people. Ingram VP Renee Bergeron says the company's cloud business doubled in 2012 and continues to enjoy strong growth this year. We'll be blogging live from the event on Talkin' Cloud. Watch for some potential information about telco partners to emerge…
Have a fantastic week. Thanks for reading MSPmentor.