Managed Services: 7 Blogs MSPmentor Didn’t Write, Oct 25
Greetings from 30,000 feet. I’m flying home from N-able Global Partner Summit 2013. Next up, our team will closely track Cloud Channel Summit, IT Nation 2013, Amazon AWS Re:Invent and more. But before we get back on the road, here are seven managed services provider (MSP) news stories, blogs and pieces of gossip we didn’t have time to write for the week ending Oct. 25, 2013.
7. Garbutt’s Legacy: N-able’s first MSP partner conference under SolarWinds’ ownership was a clear success. SolarWinds CEO Kevin Thompson, N-able GM JP Jauvin and Senior VP Mike Cullen impressed the crowd with the company’s M&A execution and product roadmap. The only person missing from the conversation: Former N-able CEO Gavin Garbutt, who exited when SolarWinds purchased the company in May. Congrats to Garbutt: Your leadership built a sustainable company.
6. Staying Agnostic: The hosted desktop wars have started. Microsoft and VMware are making moves. But check this out: IndependenceIT’s hosted desktop technology supports all the major hypervisors and cloud platforms (VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix, OpenStack and more). Heck, a customer in Canada is running the solution on Oracle VM…
5. The New Channel: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) companies are emerging as the new channel for MSPs that want to consume or deploy cloud services for end-customers. Watch for several IaaS companies to announce more formalized efforts to attract MSPs in the next few weeks…
4. ConnectWise Made Another Investment – Update: On Oct. 18 MSPmentor reported a rumor that ConnectWise has invested in another technology company. We were wrong… It’s not a rumor. MSPmentor is now five-nines (99.999) convinced that ConnectWise has made an investment. If we are proven correct please document this blog entry for your records. If we are wrong please disregard this post.
3. Big CEO Change?: A well-known CEO of top MSP may retire on December 31, 2013. The timing and succession plan — which we stumbled onto — make perfect sense. Sorry, we can’t share the executive or company name just yet.
2. Powering Down: I’m running out of time and on final approach into New York. Item 2 on my list will need to be filler this week.
1. MSPmentor 501 Survey: Where does your company rank among the world’s top small, midsize and large MSPs? Find out: Take our seventh-annual MSPmentor 501 survey. Deadline for submission is December 28, 2013. Results are coming in February 2014.
Thanks for your continued readership.