LogMeIn Provides Patch Management for Windows
The days of individually updating machines, or contracting 3rd parties to install updates, are over if you’re a user of LogMeIn. The company has introduced “an intuitive way” for LogMeIn Central and LogMeIn Pro users to “remotely monitor machines, check for updates and manage Windows Update settings,” according to LogMeIn Director of Product Marketing Dave Campbell.
Here’s a list of LogMeIn’s Windows Patch Management capabilities:
- Support for Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 updates;
- Securely schedule and manage updates to off-LAN computers using LogMeIn’s cloud-based connectivity platform;
- Easily and simultaneously manage Windows Updates on multiple computers to keep systems up-to-date and secure;
- Automatically push updates to multiple systems at the same time;
- Individually select which Microsoft updates to apply;
- Check for Windows Updates at the click of a button;
- Instantly view update status of remote computer; and
- Work with Windows Update or Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
“This is especially important for MSPs and service providers. It will alleviate some of the Windows PC management burden,” Campbell said. “Patching is very time consuming when it’s done manually. Now they [MSPs] will be able to control and manage all machines as long as they are on the Internet. The ability to accomplish most of the day-t0-day management is paramount, and it’s good to do it through LogMeIn because they’re already signed on to it.”
The patch management solution was beta tested for three months, during which LogMeIn conducted one-on-one user sessions with clients to make sure the solution included the features clients wanted. The session proved to play a large role in how LogMeIn’s patch management solution looks today. Campbell explains: “MSPs wanted the option to install only updates that apply to them,” he said. They want to pick and choose.” Now LogMeIn is giving MSPs that option.
LogMeIn’s patch management solution comes with LogMeIn Central ($299/year) and LogMeIn Pro ($69/year). The LogMeIn update reinforces the company’s growing focus on the managed services market. Still, it’s important to note that many rival RMM (remote monitoring and management) software platforms have long offered patch management services.
Additional insights from Joe Panettieri.