What Are the Five Most Common MSP Mistakes?
Our Ask a Mentor system just received the following question from Paul: What are the top five mistakes managed service providers make? Here are some thoughts off the top of my head. But readers: Please weigh in with more thoughts.
Some common MSP mistakes…
1. You assume it’s all about choosing a tool: Yes, you need to carefully choose the most ideal tools for Professional Services Automation (PSA) and Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM). But just because you choose the right tool that doesn’t guarantee success. It’s sort of like choosing golf clubs. Even a great set of clubs won’t make you a great golfer. You still need a range of skills to guarantee success.
2. You don’t market your services: Your web site and promotional materials continue to evangelize your IT certifications rather than your business services.
3. You don’t adjust your compensation plan: How will commission-based sales specialists be compensated under a recurring revenue model? How will you keep them motivated and on-message with your offerings?
4. You don’t document your success: Who are your early customers? Why are they happy? How can you turn those customers into references for your business?
5. You Don’t Evolve: After enjoying some initial success charging monthly fees for remote monitoring and proactive management, you fail to evolve and don’t introduce more and more managed/SaaS services.
I’ve missed dozens of additional examples. Surely, the professionals out in the market can offer some more perspecitves? Share your comments below.
Note: Ask a Mentor is a free service. Submit a question and we’ll reply directly to you. And in some cases, we’ll post your question in our blog area to generate additional responses from MSPmentor’s readers.