Tech Data Distributes Cisco Video Solutions
Tech Data puts another notch in their belt as the first distributor in the Americas to ship the Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group portfolio of solutions. They call it the SPVTG for short, and we think VARs in any sort of video-related niche (or even digital signage) might want to take a look…
SPVTG is actually wrought out of Cisco‘s acquisition of Scientific Atlanta in 2006. You might have their cable box hooked up to your TV right now. After the acquisition, Cisco gulped up all their products and added them to their vendor programs. If you’re working with Cisco now, channel partners including ISPs, cable operators and plain old IT resellers can have access to all the video communication equipment Cisco’s SPVTG can provide — and of course now it’s all avaliable through Tech Data.
IP-TV and other high-tech digital interactive video is without a doubt, the ‘wave of the future.’ Tech Data’s distribution of the SPVTG services will include IP-based solutions plus analog products for maintaining older video distribution networks
Here’s a specific list of what’s available:
- Cisco Access/Edge: RF switches, broadband routers, optical hubs, nodes, reverse transmitters, amplifiers, filters, equalizers and line extenders
- Cisco Headend, Content Contribution and Distribution: Addressable network management systems, digital encoders, digital receivers/decoders, headends, analog modulators and demodulators
- Cisco At Home: Analog set-tops units, digital set-top units, cable accessories, cable modems, headend digital, headend software and the PowerVu Network Center Management Platform
- Cisco Network Monitoring and Management: Cisco Broadband Access Center, Cisco Broadband Configurator, Cisco Network Registrar, transponders, backup and disaster recovery
- Cisco Digital Media Suite: Digital media encoders, managers and players
Of course, members of the Cisco Solutions Group have been trained to support all resellers, cable operators, ISPs and any other networking specialists deploying the Cisco SPVTG solution. There’s also “dozens” of trained experts to help out with “inside and field sales professionals, systems engineers, as well as business development, channel marketing and product management specialists, all working in close consultation with in-house and field-based Cisco representatives.”
If there are any VARs out there who’ve worked with SPVTG solutions, we’d love to hear from you. Traditionally off-beat non-IT related products haven’t always been on my radar. However, digital signage has been, so this is an interesting blend of technology. As a proponent of IP-TV, this is exciting news, but whether this bubbles up to the surface fast or takes a while to reach saturation — that’s something time will only tell.