Seven Outlawed Headlines for Cisco’s Jim Sherriff
By now, you know Jim Sherriff is Cisco’s new U.S. and Canada Channel Chief. While Sherriff offers up a video message to Cisco’s channel partners, the IT channel media has been corralling creative headlines tied to Sherriff’s name. Here’s a look at Sherriff’s video message, plus seven outlawed Sherriff headlines The VAR Guy never hopes to read (or write)…
Let’s start with the positive. Shortly after being named Cisco’s North America Channel Chief, Sherriff offered up this video message:
Forgive The VAR Guy for laughing a bit… Cisco’s video editors certainly know how to mix facts with a bit of tongue-in-cheek scene cuts.
The Smoking Guns
Meanwhile, the channel media has been busy writing — or recycling — Sherriff-inspired headlines.
The “fun” started on July 27, when The VAR Guy was first to report Cisco would soon have “a new Sherriff in town.” Wink, wink, nudge, nudge… Everybody get it?
Surely, the rest of the IT media world would get more creative… Or perhaps not:
- July 29, Channel Insider: Cisco’s Channel Sherriff Rides Into Texas
- July 29, ChannelWeb: New Sherriff In Town: Cisco Names U.S., Canada Channel Chief
Lower Your Weapons
Now, The VAR Guy is calling for a unilateral ceasefire. The reason: Without some proper restraint, Sherriff-inspired headlines could gun down thousands of weary channel readers.
Among the fictitious — but plausible — headlines you might someday witness:
- Cisco’s Sherriff Takes Aim At HP
- Cisco’s Sherriff Shoots Down Old Partner Programs
- Cisco’s Sherriff Draws Up New Partner Plan
- Most Wanted: Sherriff Names Cisco’s Top Partners
- Cisco’s Sherriff: Time to Re-Load On Unified Computing
- Retirement: Cisco’s Sherriff Rides Off Into the Sunset
- Oh, and The VAR Guy’s personal favorite: Cisco Kids: Sherriff and Goodwin Saddle Up for Partner Summit
Painful, lame headlines? You bet. But without a media ceasefire, they could be coming to a blog or IT media site near you. As usual, The VAR Guy figured he’d fire first round before riding off to Starbucks…