We end our week of Nemo coverage, cleanup and recovery with a video blog on preparing for a potential storm from the backup and disaster recovery (BDR) and intelligent business continuity (IBC) vendor Datto Inc. Datto Director of Technical Support Victor Mathieu shared his company’s Nemo experience with us and explained how being proactive prepared the company for the blizzard earlier in the week. The BDR company also provided with us with an exclusive look at how Datto CEO Austin McChord and his staff tackled a unique situation and adjusted the company’s disaster plan accordingly. Here are the major points to take away from the video.
Mathieu discusses the following points in more detail in the video, so be sure to watch it in full to make sure that you have all your bases covered:
- Check the status of your devices -- Go through your devices to be sure that they have the most current and up-to-date backups.
- Screenshot verification -- Make sure that all your backups are able to have a bootable image, ensuring that your backups are good.
- Check off-site backups -- Are your devices replicated at another site? If not, put the information on a roundtrip, allowing you to bring the information to a safe location.
- Take the device with you -- Bring the data with you.
- Properly evaluate the situation -- Will going to that off-site virtualization be the best option? Keep in mind that you'll have to do a BMR from the cloud, which may take more time.
- Have a business continuity plan -- Can you succeed where others fail? If other businesses lose power, they can't continue to provide services. Stay ahead of the game with a plan to make sure that you're ready to go, even if a disaster strikes.