To a software developer, the sweetest three letters in the English language are “RTM.” Case in point: Microsoft Lync, the product on which Redmond has pinned its unified communications hopes, has been released to manufacturers -- meaning it’s on target for an official November 17th launch date. Here’s a recap of what The VAR Guy knows about Lync so far.
Microsoft Lync is...
- The replacement for Microsoft Office Communications Server.
- Garnering a fanbase, even ahead of its official launch.
- Attracting the attention of enterprises large and small.
- Part of the SMB-focused Office 365 offering, formerly BPOS -- another graduate of the Microsoft school of renaming.
- Sparking some competition, with vendors eZuce and Open-Xchange partnering to provide UC and fight Lync where it lives.
- Launching on The VAR Guy’s home turf of New York City on November 17
Sign up for The VAR Guy’s Weekly Newsletter; Webcasts and Resource Center. Follow The VAR Guy via RSS, Facebook and Twitter. Follow experts at VARtweet. Read The VAR Guy’s editorial disclosures here.