The MSPmentor team (and The VAR Guy and Talkin’ Cloud teams) spent much of this week at ChannelCon in it’s-a-dry-heat Phoenix. We were pretty busy, so there are several posts we never got a chance to write. Here’s what we haven’t covered. Yet.
1. Creating IT Futures provided attendees at ChannelCon with an update on its activities. If you aren’t familiar, this is the CompTIA organization that has created an apprenticeship program to educate future IT workers and give them experience. These IT Ready workers are then placed in IT jobs. The program is active in more than half a dozen cities and is expanding. We plan to bring you more details about its progress in the weeks ahead.
2. I was disappointed to miss the Advancing Women in IT community meeting and dinner due to other commitments, but this initiative seems to be gathering plenty of momentum. CompTIA also did a fine job of packing the ChannelCon agenda with a powerhouse of really excellent speakers, many of whom were women.
3. Among the hot topics at the event this year: Millennials, cloud sales compensation, the new sales targets in organizations (CFOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc.), and getting cloud apps to work together.
4. There was also lots of talk about Born-in-the-Cloud service providers. Some of my MSP friends who have sold their businesses tell me that if they were to start up a new one today it would be Born in the Cloud.
5. Watch out for some new competition from the likes of Google and other big cloud players. What do today’s MSPs offer that these IaaS and PaaS providers don’t? On-premise services. And what did we hear that big cloud service providers may be working on? On-premise services. Unconfirmed, but an interesting idea.
6. We ran into PC Matic in the ChannelCon exhibit space. This was their second year at the event and they are working to build their end-point protection presence with MSPs and their customers. We’ll be taking a closer look at the company and what they have to offer soon.
What to know what we DID cover? Check out our ChannelCon 2014 Complete Coverage Guide here.