Cloud-based mobile device management platform provider Amtel today introduced a new Android management capability for enterprise device deployments that enables central distribution of complete settings for mobile device and app control. Called Secure Works for Android, the module also creates a locked enterprise workspace (on either company-liable or company-deployed devices) to increase security and compliance. Here are the details.
Amtel CEO and Chief Architect Pankaj "PJ" Gupta told MSPmentor that Secure Works gives companies more control over what the user is doing on the device. For instance, in healthcare environments, administrators can choose what kinds of applications to show to nurses and doctors. They do not have to be distracted by applications that aren’t relevant to their jobs. They are provided with one customized screen that includes the apps the admin has specified.
Gupta said that while he continues to see more demand for both iOS and Android features in Amtel’s platform, Android is growing faster than iOS in non-U.S. markets. For instance one pharmaceutical company in Asia is deploying Android tablets to field reps who visit doctors’ offices. It is used as a as a tool to push documents and other resources.
The following is a summary provided by Amtel of administrator abilities in Secure Works for Android:
- Control how employees utilize company-supplied Android devices, preventing behaviors that can compromise the business or drive up data bandwidth requirements
- Centrally configure and push settings for business apps, whitelist and blacklist policies, bookmarks, passcode policies, WiFi, email and more to all users simultaneously
- Brand and customize home screens to display only approved apps
- Restrict access to non-business apps such as social networks, gaming, movie/TV streaming services, cloud storage services, vendor-installed Android apps and other unwanted programs
- Limit browsing to specific URLs
- Protect corporate information transmitted to mobile devices by encrypting and sharing it in a secure container, and automatically removing it when users close the business app.
Amtel's Secure Works for Android supports Android 2.2 or higher and is available immediately. Amtel's Mobile Device Management solution also offers full support for Apple iOS smartphones and tablets leveraging iOS security capabilities.
Gupta said Amtel has still not seen much of a demand for support for Windows devices. He recently noted that BlackBerry's demise will likely mark a shift away from bring-your-own-device (BYOD) initiatives in businesses.