Which metrics are important for today's IT service providers (ITSPs)?
A new survey of more than 1,100 ITSPs conducted by professional services automation (PSA) platform provider Autotask revealed "different roles prioritize metrics differently."
The survey, titled "Metrics That Matter 2016," indicated executive management is most concerned with profits, while project technicians track service-level agreements (SLAs). In addition, the survey showed finance is most concerned with billable resource utilization.
So what does this mean for ITSPs?
Autotask offered the following recommendations for ITSPs based on the survey results:
- Use KPIs -- Key performance indicators (KPIs) enable ITSPs to track each function and their organization overall.
- Measure personal and team performance -- Every employee needs a clear view into his or her personal performance as well as team performance.
- Prioritize customer satisfaction -- Employees should recognize the importance of customer satisfaction and find ways to make ongoing customer service improvements.
Seven percent of survey respondents said they do not currently use KPIs. And when ITSPs were asked which success metrics they tracked, billable resource utilization was the top metric they cited, followed by overall profits and SLAs.
Customers demand endpoint and security support
Autotask pointed out endpoint growth and the high demand for security services are two of the biggest trends affecting ITSPs.
The survey revealed 55 percent of ITSPs reported a steady or significant increase in the number of endpoints they manage.
Meanwhile, 80 percent of ITSPs noted that cloud delivery was the "norm" to both manage and secure endpoints most effectively.
"Networks are changing structure from client-server to client-device-cloud. The endpoint growth is happening outside office walls," Autotask CEO Mark Cattini said in a prepared statement. "As the home becomes a technology hub, security at the endpoint becomes more relevant."
Other survey results included:
- Endpoint security ranked as the top security-related service driving revenue for ITSPs, followed by Internet security and email security.
- Customer renewal rates were consistent and strong compared with 2015, with 75 percent of respondents having renewal rates of 80 percent or higher.
- 31 percent of respondents said they do not know their actual SLA first-response time, 24 percent don't measure service response times and 13 percent said they never solicit customer feedback.
Autotask added that today's business customers "are looking to IT service providers to help them manage increasingly extended networks of communication, commerce and data exchange enabled by a growing number of endpoints."