I was off the grid most of this past week -- heads down in Fort Collins, Colo., working with a pretty sharp team on something I'll call "Empowering Early Adopters." (More chatter about that soon.) So what managed services provider (MSP) news and blogs did MSPmentor fail to write amid my travels? Here's a recap for the week ending Jan. 24, 2014.
7. Belated Apology: Ulistic, the MSP marketing specialist, has been hosting a range of educational events across North America. Stuart Crawford, a former MSP himself, has been leading the Ulitisic charge. We've spoken a bit about his efforts but I haven't had time to blog about the chatter amid my travels. For those located near Charlotte, N.C., Ulistic will be in town Feb. 20.
6. Cloud Price Wars: In an email to customers, Microsoft's Windows Azure team has vowed to match Amazon Web Services' commodity cloud pricing. That's good news for MSPs that are moving customer workloads to public IaaS clouds. Just be sure to maintain control of the applications while underlying IaaS prices continue to plummet.
5. Competing Dates: The second-annual Datto Partner Conference is set for June 2-6 in Las Vegas. LabTech Automation Nation 2014 is the same week in Orlando, Fla. Both events rank among The VAR Guy's Top 100 Technology Conferences for 2014. Where will The VAR Guy and MSPmentor surface? Stay tuned...
4. Staying on the Road: The combined eFolder and Anchor teams (backup, disaster recovery and file sync for MSPs) is barnstorming the U.S. and Canada with a "fairly massive increase in our sales and marketing investments to get the word out and onboard new partners," according to VP of Marketing Ted Hulsy. For instance, Anchor and eFolder will visit over 144 cities in North America in 2014 to introduce the Anchor solution, Hulsy adds. More updates soon...
2. Big Hire: Boundary, the cloud-based IT operations management provider, has made a big hire, MSPmentor has heard. The move apparently involves a CA Technologies veteran joining Boundary -- which is led by former Nimsoft CEO Gary Read. Stay tuned for potential details on Talkin' Cloud.
1. MSPmentor 501 Results: The seventh-annual results are coming during our Feb. 27 Webcast. I hope you'll join me for the live discussion and results.
That's all for now. Thanks for your readership, feedback and constructive criticism.