Telefónica (NYSE: TEF), a telecom company, has partnered with cloud storage provider CTERA Networks to engage customers in Spain. The partnership is the latest example of how cloud computing and telecom services are both expanding and converging across the globe.
The service, Disco Virtual en Red, leverages CTERA's Cloud Storage Enablement Suite. The suite has a cloud-side service delivery platform, on-premises cloud storage gateways, and agents for servers, laptops and mobile, the company said. The service is being offered at Telefónica's Aplicateca business app store and in its Fusion Empresas offering.
"We identified a need in the market for Spain-based, secure cloud storage services," said Telefónica Cloud Security and Management Marketing Manger Andres López Hedoire in a prepared statement. CTERA's platform offers a multi-tenant architecture, providing enterprise customers with their own 'private hosted' environments.
The Telefónica solution, built atop CTERA's code, will offer:
- Secure file sync & share -- Bi-directional synchronization of local folders on users' PCs, Macs and Linux environments to the cloud, with data-at-rest and data-in-transit encryption, and mobile collaboration supporting iOS and Android.
- Cloud-based team collaboration -- Customers can set up shared workspaces for project teams, where users share files in the cloud, invite external users to access files on a time-limited basis, and have files synchronized to their PCs for local offline access.
- Cloud storage gateway appliances -- Customers can choose to have an on-premises CTERA appliance that provides a full set of NAS (network attached storage) features, supporting CIFS, NFS, AFP, FTP and rsync protocols, with RAID for local redundancy and customer-defined replication to the cloud.
- Hybrid local / cloud backup -- Customers can back up their servers, laptops and desktops to the local CTERA appliance for hybrid local/cloud backup, at both file and disk-image level (bare metal). Backup is incremental, de-duplicated between users within the same company, and encrypted, with private key control given to the customer so that their data remains secure.
- Access anywhere -- Customers can access and manage their shared files, backups and accounts on the Web, using a standard browser and mobile devices. Using CTERA's advanced Active Directory GPO (Group Policy Object) and Single Sign On integration, Telefónica's enterprise customers can effortlessly deliver end-point cloud backup and file sync & share services to hundreds or thousands of employees, with a single click.
Telefónica has points of presence in 25 countries.