Virtual machine (VM) backup and recovery provider PHD Virtual Technologies has released an incremental release of its PHD Virtual CloudHook virtual backup and monitoring product. With CloudHook 6.2, PHD Virtual has added new features around backing up local VMs.
Additionally, the company included a module for virtual backup to the cloud to make it easy for SMBs to back up and recover data to and from any cloud. According to PHD Virtual, the Virtual Backup and Replication module will provide seamless backups to public and private clouds at the touch of a button.
CloudHook competes directly with cloud gateway appliances, as well as onsite and offsite backup storage solutions. Designed to integrate with the likes of Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) Web Services, Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) Cloud and Rackspace (NYSE: RAX) Cloud platforms, as well as other public and private cloud offerings, CloudHook is being positioned as an easy way for organizations to deal with the complexity of backing up and recovering data from third-party cloud providers.
"With PHD CloudHook, customers retain on-site control and recovery of backups with the added assurance of off-site cloud storage. That's peace of mind for pennies—an unsurpassed value that small businesses have been asking for but unable to get until now," said Joe Noonan, senior product manager at PHD Virtual, in a prepared statement.
New or updated features in CloudHook 6.2 include:
- Built-in data reduction capabilities that incorporate tracking, source-side data deduplication and comprsesion. The end goal is to send as little data as possible to the backup target, which PHD Virtual noted is a "huge advantage" for organizations with low-bandwidth, high-latency Internet connections.
- Government-grade encryption both for in transit and at rest on the backup target.
- Local caching to boost performance and reliability of the data transfer.
- Flexible retention for virtualization backup.
- "True forever" incremental backups to ensure the most efficient use of data transfer across the Internet to cloud storage.
For the channel, including cloud providers, there are opportunities through the PHD Virtual Xpress Partner Program, which provides the vendor's partners with incremental revenue.