The results are in -- Panda Security offers the highest levels of cyber protection, according to antivirus software evaluations from independent IT security testers AV-Comparatives and AV-TEST. We'll have more on where other providers ranked later in this post.
AV-Comparatives said Panda Cloud Antivirus, Panda Security's free anti-malware solution, detected and blocked 99.9 percent of threats between March and June, while AV-TEST gave this software a perfect score in its "Real-World Protection" test in both May and June.
"The best thing is that the platform and engine with which we're achieving these results are the basis of all our endpoint protection products," Corrons said in a prepared statement. "Our aim is to continue integrating technologies in the platform to stay in pole position when it comes to detection and provide our users with maximum protection and minimum impact on their systems."
Where did other antivirus software providers rank?
Panda ranked first in AV-Comparatives' test, and here's how this independent testing organization rated several other globally recognized antivirus software providers:
- Bitdefender (#2 overall, detected and blocked 99.8 percent of threats)
- Avira (#3 overall, detected and blocked 99.7 percent of threats)
- Kaspersky Lab (#5 overall, detected and blocked 99.6 percent of threats)
- McAfee (#10 overall, detected and blocked 97.9 percent of threats)
- Microsoft (last overall, detected and blocked 88.7 percent of threats)
Bitdefender and Kaspersky Lab, meanwhile, also received perfect scores in AV-TEST's evaluation, while McAfee and BullGuard rounded out its top five.
How do you pick the right antivirus software?
Selecting antivirus software is rarely simple, and How-To Geek points out there are many questions to consider, including:
- Is it worthwhile to go with a well-known product or a new security offering?
- Should I go with a free tool or pay for protection?
- What types of cybersecurity threats do I want to avoid?
As How-To Geek points out, "You don't have to fly blind when choosing an antivirus; you can make an informed decision."
Use all of the tools at your disposal to find antivirus software that works.