When Oracle (ORCL) announced Q2 2014 earnings today, the company didn't really mention channel partners. Nor has the media -- including The VAR Guy -- heard much from new Oracle Channel Chief Rich Geraffo, who moved into that postion in October 2013. Memo to Geraffo: Here are five things you need to address for calendar 2014.
1. Cloud Bookings: CEO Larry Ellison says Oracle Q2 2014 cloud bookings grew 35 percent. That's quite impressive.
- But what percentage of those new bookings involved channel partners?
- How many partners are simply referring customers into the Oracle cloud?
- And how many partners are earning recurring revenue by offering ongoing Oracle cloud services?
2. Oracle Database Appliance: Oracle Database Appliance X3-2 launched in March 2013. Oracle Database Appliance X4-2 launched Nov. 12, 2013. Distributors are a key target for the appliances but how is the distribution push going?
3. Machine to Machine (M2M) and Big Data: Oracle is saying a lot about both. But which channel partners -- if any -- are driving revenues in this area?
4. The Big Four: Oracle is talking up Enablement + Cloud + Incentive Programs + Exastack here. How's the push going?
5. The Executive Suite: President Mark Hurd attends many partner functions. But CEO Larry Ellison has been a no-show at major Oracle PartnerNetwork gatherings. What's it gonna take to have Ellison address channel partners during their dedicated session at Oracle OpenWorld 2014?
That's all for now, Rich. The VAR Guy looks forward to an official interview with you once you've got some free time. Perhaps in January 2014 -- after the New Year? Hmmm...